Tomorrow I have to teach a class for better searching for scientific information on the world wide web. In the introduction I try to highlight the major trends in research and the information landscape. I came up with the two following bullet lists.
Trends in science and research
- Increased multidisciplinarity
- Increasing cooperation between scientists
- Internationalization of research
- Need for primary data
- More competition for same grant money
Trends in the information world
- Increased importance of free web resources
- From information scarcity to overload
- After A&I databases, journal currently digitization of books
- From bibliographic control to fulltext search
- Open Access & Source
- Multiformity of resources
- User in control
I wondered if anybody has some additional suggestions for either one of these lists.